By: Melissa S. Doolan, Esq.


[1] Examples include a determination by a government agency a individual is disability, receipt of disability benefits, eligibility for housing assistance based on a disability and information from a licensed medical professional that the individual has a disability.

[2] A relationship between the disability and the need for the assistance animal must be provided. This is generally provided by documentation from a licensed medical provider that is general to the requestor’s condition but specific to the individual with the disability and the assistance or therapeutic emotional support provided by the animal. Such documentation generally includes:

  • the individual’s name,
  • the relationship between the individual and the healthcare professional,
  • the type of animal the individual is requesting,
  • whether the individual has a physical or mental impairment,
  • whether the individual’s impairment substantially limits at least one major life activity or major bodily function, and
  • whether the individual needs the animal to do work, provide assistance, perform a task or provide therapeutic emotion support to alleviate a symptom or effect of the disability?

The information provided herein is for reference purposes only, is general in nature, and is not intended as legal advice. For specific questions or legal issues regarding your association, please contact us at 480-219-3633.